Washington, D.C. Exchange Internal Application
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5:00 P.M. Tuesday, April 19, 2012
Information regarding the Exchange Program with Howard University School of Law:
- Our memorandum of understanding permits two students from each school to attend a host school for one semester. In other words, two UNM students may attend Howard each semester and UNM has agreed to accept two students from Howard University.
- Participating students may extend their D.C. visit by enrolling in a UNM externship placement in the summer before fall semester or in the summer after spring semester.
- Exchange students shall pay tuition and fees to their home institution, but shall enjoy the same privileges and services as regular students at the host institution.
- To participate in the exchange program, a student must be in the upper half of his or her class at the time the student applies, unless both the home institution and the host institution agree otherwise.
- The exchange program is limited to students who have completed all first-year required courses.
- Students in the program are required to take a full course load – a minimum 12 credit hours.
- The proposed schedule of courses of exchange students shall be approved in advance by the Dean or the Dean’s delegate at the home institution.
- The host institution will make every reasonable effort to assure that exchange students shall enjoy the same access to courses and extracurricular activities as students enrolled at the host institution. Students, however, will not be permitted to take clinical classes at the host institution. In addition, law reviews and competitions are not considered extracurricular activities.
- Grades will be awarded by the Howard University School of Law and converted by UNM to Credit, C-, D, or F. Further information about this will be provided upon selection.
- Although the law school will try to assist you in finding housing in Washington, ultimately you will have to take final responsibility for arranging housing.
- You will be bound by the academic and other rules and regulations of the school you are attending.
Completing this form indicates that you are seriously interested in this program. Selection will be by lottery. If selected, barring unforeseen circumstances, you will take the steps necessary to participate in this program.
By submitting this form, you are indicating that you have read and can comply with the conditions noted above.
If you have any questions, please contact Associate Dean Barbara Bergman.