Financial Aid 2011-2012

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I apply for Financial Aid?
You can apply by submitting your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) beginning in January of the year you will start law school. You will need your federal tax information for the prior year for the application.

Is there a deadline for Financial Aid?
There is a priority filing date of March 1, and it is strongly recommended that your financial aid file is complete by that date in order to be awarded as early as possible.
While there is no deadline for applying for student loans, loan requests cannot be submitted after the last day of the Fall/Spring semesters. You will need to apply for each year that you would like to receive financial aid. 

What is the maximum amount I can borrow?
You may borrow up to $20,500 for the year in federal Stafford Student Loans, depending on your cost of attendance and other aid you may be receiving. If you would like to reduce or cancel your loan(s), notify Carol Cravens. You may also take out a federal Grad Plus for the difference between your cost of attendance and aid/loans.

When will I find out how much Financial Aid I am receiving?
A financial aid award letter will be mailed to you within a few days of your file’s completion. You may also view the status of your financial aid application at MyUNM; select the Student Life tab and click on My Financial Aid.

When will I get my refund?
Disbursement occurs each semester, usually the first week of classes.

How will I get my refund?
You will receive your refund either by setting up Direct Deposit, or by having a check mailed to your current address.

Do I need to let the Financial Aid Officer know if I receive outside funding?
Yes, it is extremely important that you notify us as soon as possible if you receive funding from any other source. We must take into consideration all sources of assistance you receive because they can affect your eligibility for financial aid. Unreported aid could result in an overaward, which you must repay.

Can I receive Financial Aid for study abroad?
In order to receive funding for study abroad courses, the courses you take must be approved by the UNM School of Law Registrar. You must also submit documentation of the course costs and your enrollment to Carol Cravens in the Law School Financial Aid Office. For the type and amount of aid you will be eligible for it is best to meet with Carol in person.