Not-for-Profit Art Gallery
Current Exhibit: 2017 Artist in Residence Program
The University of New Mexico Law School Not-for-Profit Art Gallery is launching the 2017 Artist in Residence Program with an opening reception on Tuesday, January 24 from 5:00 - 6:30 pm in the Forum at the UNM Law School, located at 1117 Stanford NE. Free parking is available in the law school parking lot after 4:00 p.m.
The Art Gallery’s inaugural Artist in Residence Program features work from 11 artists:
- Norm Gagne, UNM Law School Class of 1974
- Sarah Lough, UNM Law School Class of 2007
- Sherri Burr, Regents Professor, UNM School of Law
- Steven K. Homer, Director of the Legal Analysis & Communication Program, UNM School of Law
- Dan Noyes, former staff at UNM School of Law
- Laura Paskus, reporter, KUNM
- Jennifer Brannen, School of Law, Class of 2019
- Alexander Kinney, College of Fine Arts, Class of 2019
- Dan Shaffer
- Vera Neel
Sculptress in Residence: Elana Schwartz
Meet the exhibiting artists and hear about their work at the opening reception, which will feature a shrimp buffet, wine selection and non-alcoholic beverages.
Live entertainment will be provided by "Keep Your Day Job," a UNM School of Law band comprised of Sergio Pareja, dean; Alex Ritchie, associate professor; Jim Butler, former faculty; and Jayson Capps, web administrator.
For more information, please contact Professor Sherri Burr (Art Committee Chair) at 505-277-5650.
Art Talk interview with Law School Student Artists
Host Sherri Burr interviews UNM law students Suzanne Fortner (’16), Robert Johnston(’16), and Kate Worthington (’15), about their artwork featured in the 2015 Student Art Show.
Arts Talk with Sherri Burr and Art at the Law School Part 1 of 2
Arts Talk with Sherri Burr and Art at the Law School Part 2 of 2
About the Gallery
The UNM School of Law Art Gallery features art of varied mediums from artists including students, faculty, alumni and friends of the law school and the university. Professor Sherri Burr, UNM Regents Professor, heads the UNM Law School's Art Committee and is host of ARTS TALK, a weekly television she produces and hosts. Aside from the intrinsic value of having art in the School of Law and the goal of funding a scholarship, Burr says there's another important reason for the art gallery: "An art enriched environment is conducive to learning."
See Professor Burr’s profile.
UNM School of Law Art Gallery and Art Committee Chair Sherri Burr in the News
- Professor Burr is featured on UNM Proud in the article, “An Artist’s Love for the Law.” The article describes Burr’s successful art career, her Art Law program, and the creation of the Law School Art Gallery and how she has “tapped into the heart of art’s influence in New Mexico, and at the University of New Mexico.”
- On March 25, the Law School's art gallery was featured in the Albuquerque Journal by Staff Writer Mike Bush titled, "Art at UNM Law School". Professor Sherri Burr, who chairs the Law School's Art Committee, is quoted sharing her enthusiasm for the gallery and understanding that art provides intellectual stimulation. The article includes interviews with 3 artists whose work is currently on view in the gallery.
- Professor Burr was also interviewed in a blog by Teri Hillyard about National Federation of Press Women members called "Talking with Teri."