Madrid Summer Law Institute

Insurance Requirements

The library at U. Rey Juan Carlos
The library at U. Rey Juan Carlos

All students must have accident and health insurance, which provides emergency medical evacuation and repatriation and which is valid in Spain. Students must provide proof of adequate insurance prior to arrival in Madrid to Kelli Howie at UNM School of Law. Kelli may be reached at the following address:

Kelli Howie
The University of New Mexico
Madrid Summer Law Institute
MSC11 6070
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM, 87131-0001

Spanish health professionals may expect payment in cash for treatments received. UNM and the Universidad Rey Juan Carlos are not responsible for costs incurred due to accident or illness during the Madrid Summer Law Institute.

The Institute requires that you purchase insurance coverage unless your current health insurance includes the requirements listed below.  Specifically, you must have insurance that covers the following in Spain:

  • Minimum coverage of $50,000 per person per accident or illness;
  • Emergency medical evacuation ($10,000 minimum); and
  • Repatriation of remains ($7,500 minimum).

If your insurance does not include medical evacuation and/or repatriation of remains, you may purchase an International Student Identity Card, which includes this coverage. It does not include coverage for accidents or illness.

Students can purchase HTH insurance which includes all required insurance coverage. Robyn Cote at the Latin American and Iberian Institute can expedite the purchase of this insurance. See the Handbook for more details regarding how to purchase this coverage.

You also may want to contact the international center at your school regarding coverage.