- News and Events
- Classroom Calendar
- Events Calendar
- Faculty News
- Student Achievements
- Special Events
- Press Releases
- UNM Law Alumni Magazine
- News Archives
When Albuquerque Mayor Richard Berry helped dedicate Angelitas de Caridad, a commemorative sculpture in Martineztown Park, clinic students at the University of New Mexico School of Law were among the people he thanked for making the project a reality.
The students, enrolled in Professor Jose Martinez’s law practice clinic during 2004 and 2005, helped draft a contract for the artist’s commission, the contract with the foundry that fabricated the sculpture, along with the gift agreement and copyright agreement with the city.
The sculpture was formally dedicated in a late-October 2011 ribbon-cutting ceremony, attended by a large group of officials, including Professor Martinez. The dedication was part of the 40th anniversary celebration of the Citizens Information Committee of Martineztown, the community’s neighborhood association.
“This art project, which was built and donated to the city by the citizens of Martineztown, was a wonderful opportunity for clinic students to learn about pro bono work and to see how attorneys can work with community groups to better their respective communities,” said Martinez. “In addition to working on the formal art, construction and gift agreements, students over a number of years got to see how lawyers can get involved in making their community a better place to live.”
New Mexico sculptor Linda Dabeau designed the limestone-and-bronze memorial, which honors the Sisters of Charity, an order that founded St. Joseph Sanitarium in 1902 as part of its mission to minister to the sick, the poor, the elderly and the children. By 1930, the sanitarium had grown into St. Joseph Hospital, which today continues to be a leading medical institution as Lovelace Medical Center.
Through the hard work of its neighborhood association, Martineztown, one of Albuquerque’s oldest neighborhoods, has been transformed into an eastern gateway to the city’s downtown and maintains the residential character of the historic community.
December 15, 2011