The National Lawyers Guild is an association dedicated to the need for basic change in the structure of our political and economic system. We seek to unite the lawyers, law students, legal workers, and jailhouse lawyers of America in an organization which shall function as an effective political and social force in the service of the people, to the end that human rights shall be more sacred than property interests.
Our aim is to bring together all those:
- who regard adjustments to new conditions as more important than the veneration of precedent;
- who recognize the importance of safeguarding and extending the rights of workers, women, farmers and minority groups upon whom the welfare of the nation depends;
- who seek actively to eliminate racism;
- who work to maintain and protect our civil rights and liberties in the face of persistent attacks upon them;
- and who look upon the law as an instrument for the protection of the people rather than for their repression.