Constitution & By-Laws
Article One: NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Student Animal Legal Defense Fund.
Article Two: PURPOSE
The purposes of this organization are to provide a forum for education, advocacy and scholarship aimed at protecting the lives and advancing the interests of animals through the legal system, to raise the profile of the field of animal law, to inform the law school community about current legal issues in animal rights and animal welfare law, to carry out research projects for lawyers and organizations involved in animal welfare/rights litigation, and to host educational events for the greater community.
Article Three: CRITERIA FOR MEMBERSHIP
Membership in UNM Law SALDF is open to all students currently enrolled at UNM Law School, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, physical or mental handicap, age, sex, sexual preference, ancestry, or medical condition. Individual membership in the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) is encouraged but not required for all UNM Law SALDF members.
Article Four: OFFICERS
- The Officers of UNM Law SALDF shall be the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- Qualifications for those serving as officers are:
- enrolled as a student at UNM Law School
- membership in UNM Law SALDF
- an agreement to uphold the goals and purposes of the ALDF, and compliance with all by-laws, rules, regulations and duly adopted policies of the ALDF.
- The President shall exercise general supervision over the programs of UNM Law SALDF, and shall serve as the liaison with the Dean and Administration of the Law School.
- The Vice President shall assist the President in the duties listed above and assume those responsibilities if the President is not able to fulfill them. The Vice President shall also be responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the UNM Saldf web page by working with and relaying updates to the UNM web coordinator.
- The Secretary shall keep the correspondence of the organization and record minutes of each meeting and email them out to all members.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for keeping all financial records, submitting financial reports, and handling other financial matters as they occur.
Article Five: ELECTIONS
- Officers shall be elected annually by the membership of UNM Law SALDF, and shall serve a term of office beginning one week after the date of the election.
- Students interested in serving as officers shall so inform the President prior to the day of the elections. In electing officers, each member shall have one vote. Candidates must obtain a majority of all votes in order to be elected to office. In the event that no candidate attracts the requisite number of votes for election, a run-off shall be held between the two candidates with the highest number of votes.
Article Six: MEETINGS
- Regular meetings of UNM Law SALDF shall be held at least once a semester.
- Decisions at meetings shall be made by consensus, with every present party agreeing to, assenting to, or abstaining from every action there decided. A necessary quorum for all decisions shall be three members, which must include at least one officer.
- Special meetings of UNM Law SALDF may be called by any number of members, who shall inform the President or the entire membership at least two days prior to the date of the proposed meeting.
Article Seven: ASSOCIATION WITH THE ALDF
- Activities of UNM Law SALDF shall at all times be consistent with the purposes of the ALDF. No legal action will be initiated in the name of UNM Law SALDF, or endorsed or supported by UNM Law SALDF, without prior approval of ALDF. UNM Law SALDF shall keep the President of ALDF informed of all public policy positions taken in the name of UNM Law SALDF. UNM Law SALDF will not purport to speak for ALDF or commit it to any position on any matter of public policy or law without ALDF’s prior written consent.
- The ALDF by-laws are hereby incorporated into this Constitution and by-laws, by this reference thereto. In all matters not specified in this Constitution, the ALDF by-laws then in effect shall govern.
Article Eight: AMENDMENTS
Any two current members shall be entitled to propose amendments. These amendments shall be communicated to the President, who shall schedule a meeting for the purpose of deciding on these amendments. If the date of submission of these amendments is near the date of a regular or special business meeting, then no additional meeting need be scheduled. A 2/3 majority of all votes shall be required for any changes to this constitution, with a necessary quorum of four members and the inclusion of at least one officer.