Article I: Name and Purpose
The name of this organization is The University of New Mexico School of Law Veterans’ Association. The purposes of the Association are:
- To encourage and promote the representation of veterans in the University of New Mexico School of Law and in the legal profession.
- Provide support for members during their law school experience.
- Promote awareness of Veterans' issues.
- Assist Veterans in the community with legal issues.
Article II: Membership and Membership Dues
- Membership: Every student of the University of New Mexico School of Law is eligible to become a member of the Association at any time by requesting to be placed on the membership list.
- Dues: There are no dues.
- Membership Rights: All members may vote and run in elections for positions on the Executive Board. All members may attend all meetings, either general or meetings of the Executive Board. All members may attend either any social or community service function with guests. Any member may be removed from membership by the affirmative vote of a majority of the entire membership at either any regular or special meeting for conduct detrimental to the interests of the Association.
Article III: The Executive Board
The Executive Board shall be made of:
- The President: A student elected in the Spring Election by the entire membership.
- The Vice-President: A student elected in the Spring Election by the entire membership.
- The Secretary: A student elected in the Spring Election by the entire membership.
- The Treasurer: A student elected in the Spring Election by the entire membership.
Article IV: Terms of Office for Executive Board Officers
- All Officers elected in either the Spring Election or in a Special Election shall take office immediately upon election certification.
- Officers will serve on the Executive Board until the following Spring Election.
- Officers who either resign or who are recalled from office will serve until their respective replacements are elected.
Article V: Duties of the Executive Board
The Executive Board:
- Shall be responsible for the management and control of the Association.
- May create committees with powers and duties as needed.
- Shall approve the final budget.
- Shall have at least two (2) general meetings of the Association each semester. Notice of each meeting will be posted by electronic mail at least three (3) days in advance.
- Shall be ultimately responsible for running elections.
The President shall:
- Coordinate all activities of the Executive Board.
- Represent the Association at the University of New Mexico School of Law meetings and functions.
- Chair general and Executive Board meetings.
- Have the power to take any actions in furtherance of the purposes in Article I subject to retroactive review by the Executive Board.
The Vice-President shall:
- Be responsible for the coordination and execution of all elections.
- Chair general and Executive Board meetings in the absence of the President.
- Be responsible for recruitment of potential members.
The Secretary shall:
- Be responsible for maintaining a current Association membership list.
- Have the duty to provide notice of general meetings.
Keep minutes of general and Executive Board meetings.
The Treasurer shall:
- Maintain accurate, complete, and current records of the Association's financial status and activities.
- Collect and maintain funds.
Article VI: Recall of Officers
- Any member may initiate a recall election of any member of the Executive Board with a petition signed by at least six (6) members.
- The recall election requires a vote of No Confidence from two-thirds (2/3) of the membership for the Officer to be recalled from office.
Article VII: Limits on Powers of Officers
- No Officer shall take any action in contradiction of any provision of this Constitution.
- No Officer shall either spend or withhold funds of the Association in contravention of the majority vote of the Executive Board.
Article VIII: Meetings
- A minimum of two general meetings of the Association shall be held each semester at a time and place determined by the Executive Board.
- Special meetings can be called with a majority vote of the Executive Board.
- Notice of meetings to the membership will be by electronic mail at least three (3) days in advance.
Article IX: Election and Voting Procedures
- Candidate Requirements:
- All candidates shall be members of the Association in good standing with the University of New Mexico School of Law.
- All members of the Association may vote in the Spring Election, Special Elections as required by vacancies on the Executive Board, and fund expenditure votes.
- The presence of at least thirty-percent (30%) of the members in person or by proxy shall be necessary to constitute a quorum for the purpose of simple majority votes on referenda raised by either the membership or the Executive Board.
- Elections and Special Elections:
- The Spring Election will occur during the last meeting of the spring semester.
- The Executive Board shall call Special Elections in response to either membership support of referendum on the question or for a proposed amendment in accordance with Article X.
- Elections will be decided by a simple majority vote of ballots cast unless the vote is in furtherance of Article VI.
- Any member of the Association may verbally petition for a Special Election on either any issue or question pertaining to Association business provided a quorum is present at a duly called meeting of the Association.
- A referendum may not require any action that is inconsistent with this Constitution.
Article X: Amendments
Proposed amendments shall include:
- The proposed amendment.
- The portion of the Constitution to be amended.
- A brief statement declaring either the reasons or purpose of the proposed amendment.
- The signatures of at least six (6) members.
Once an amendment is proposed, the Executive Board shall call a Special Election in accordance with Article VIII. The amendment shall either be ratified or not in accordance with Article IX.