Call for Papers
Please note that the Tribal Law Journal is currently accepting proposals for Volume 24, a Symposium Issue on “200 Years Since Johnson v. M’Intosh: The Case’s Impacts on Native Communities and Tribal Governments.” Proposals are due by March 15, 2023, and further details are available here.
- Begin manuscript with an abstract of approximately 100 words; a research protocol should also be included.
- Text should be double spaced, plain font (Courier or Times New Roman) no smaller than 12 pt. size.
- 8.5” × 11” white paper with all margins one inch wide.
- Page numbers at bottom of each page.
- Title and author name(s) must appear on the first page of text.
- First endnote should be a brief author(s)’s biographical (1-2 sentence(s)).
- Block quotations should be single spaced, indented one inch from margins and be at least 50 words.
- Endnotes/Footnotes should be single spaced.
- Citations must conform to the rules of The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (21st ed.). See Author’s Manuscript Preparation Information.
- Tribal code and case citation format should conform to the high court of that particular tribe. See Author’s Manuscript Preparation Information.
- Tables and figures should have a maximum size of 4.5” × 7” with headings and notes within those dimensions.
Submit Manuscripts for Consideration to
Tribal Law Journal
University of New Mexico School of Law
MSC11 6070, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131-0001
Acknowledgment of Receipt
Upon receipt of your manuscript, the Tribal Law Journal will send an acknowledgment message. Please keep us informed of any changes to your manuscript or your contact information.
Please notify our office as soon as possible if your manuscript is accepted by another journal so we may withdraw it from consideration.
Review Time Frame
If we are unable to review your manuscript and/or make a decision within 3 months of receipt, we will notify you that the manuscript is being withdrawn from our consideration.
Once your manuscript is selected for publication we will contact you by phone, email, or fax. If your manuscript is still available we will send our acceptance package which includes an offer letter, Author Response form, Author Information form, our standard Publication Agreement, and Author’s Manuscript Preparation Information.
If you accept our offer, we will request that you submit the final version of the manuscript on a 3.5” high-density (HD) computer disk in MS Word or WordPerfect format along with a printed copy. Contact our office if you do not have a compatible format. It is also important to include copies of all research materials because the University of New Mexico libraries may not include all of an author’s research materials.