Student and Career Services
Connect with a student who can discuss our Office of Career Services.
The small size of the student body at the UNM School of Law allows us to provide all of our students and graduates with individualized comprehensive professional development assistance. We will also help connect you with a broad range of law practices and legal markets throughout the country.
Career Services can help you optimize the variety of practical learning experiences available at the UNM School of Law.
We will connect you to fieldwork in your desired area of interest through the school’s robust externship program, the Washington D.C. Experiential Enrichment Program, and “in-practice” courses that involve actual client matters. You will develop valuable skills, experience, connections, and confidence, all of which will increase your post-graduate marketability and career satisfaction.
Services We Offer
- Personalized career advising, including assistance in focusing career objectives and identifying relevant opportunities to develop practical skills.
- Individualized application material review and assistance, including resumes and cover letters.
- Mock interviews that simulate the format of various legal employers, such as traditional, panel, and behavioral interviews.
- Coordination of federal and state judicial clerkship applications.
- Assistance with fellowship proposal development and applications and connections to post-graduate host sites.
- Programs and workshops on topics such as resume and cover letter preparation, interviewing skills, career options, job search strategy, networking, and salary negotiation.
Recruiting Programs, Job Fairs, and Networking Events
- Fall and Spring Recruiting Programs including on-campus interviews, application forwarding, and contact directly opportunities.
- Student Job Board listing current employment and externship opportunities year-round with firms, corporations, government offices, public interest agencies, and judges.
- National and regional recruiting events, information fairs, and networking conferences.
Job Search and Professional Development Resources
- UNM Law Advocate, powered by Symplicity, the industry-leading, on-line career services management program, providing access to job openings, a customized professional profile, and personal and interview calendars.
- Reciprocity privileges with law school Career Services offices nationwide.
- UNM Law Advisor Directory - the start of your single greatest source of opportunity: an interactive, alumni and friend-based professional network.
- A career resource library.
- Employment data encompassing type of employment, location, and salary.